The Third Mind

This is the place to talk about everything Burroughs.

Moderator: RealityStudio

The Plagiarist

The Third Mind

Post by The Plagiarist » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:50 am

Does anyone know where I could get a copy that's in fair condition (perhaps a recent reprinting). Most of what I found is either really expensive (first, second-editions) or out-of-print. I've been in and out of used bookstores, thrift shops, the salvation army for a month, and nothing. If anyone knows anything, redirect to "The Plagiarist." Thank you.
"If the machine absorbed or eliminated all those outside the machine, the machine will slow down and stop forever." -WSB

RealityStudio
Site Admin

Post by RealityStudio » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:25 pm

I had no idea that Third Mind had become so expensive. I bought a 1st ed hardback (lacking the dj) for about $10 in a used bookstore. But that was 10 or 12 years ago.

I just looked on ABE and the cheapest paperback copy is $90.44. I can't find any cheaper copies on the other rare book search engines either. However, there is one paperback copy on Amazon for $60.

Other than that your best bet is to watch ebay for a copy. There are also 5 selections from Third Mind reproduced in Word Virus.
Storm the Reality Studio!

Paul Sempschi

Post by Paul Sempschi » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:04 pm

Your best bet is to raid the local university library. If you're not a student (I wasnt), then you'll have to read it there. If you are, problem solved. Although if you feel you really need it, you'll just have to steal it from the library, it's easier than it sounds...

The Plagiarist

Post by The Plagiarist » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:42 pm

yes but first i need money for the BUS...i could always hitch-hike.
"If the machine absorbed or eliminated all those outside the machine, the machine will slow down and stop forever." -WSB

isome23

Post by isome23 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:41 pm

I recently went to The Third Mind exhibition at Palais de Tokyo in Paris and saw the art work of Brion Gysin and Burroughs. The exhibition also included other artists. I took lots of photos while I was there...but interestingly enough they had the book The Third Mind for sale in the bookstore...around 25 euros...it was in French though.

One of the nights they ran the dream machine...which I missed but the show is on until Jan.

http://www.palaisdetokyo.com/thethirdmi ... mme_en.php

Théo

Post by Théo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:51 am

And on 13th december, there'll be a reading of Howl.

isome23

Post by isome23 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:16 am

the evening I went there wasn't anything special going on, unless it happened later. I was on a uni trip with the fine art dept. and had essentially sneaked away from the group to go to the exhibition. This ended up being an adventure with me getting lost on the way back stumbling around completely lost in the Beaubourg realizing I didn't have the address to the hotel near the Gallieni stop on the Metro 3 line so I couldn't hail a taxi and there was the strike.

but in the midst of my confusion I thought gee...I'm lost and alone in Paris, but at least I saw the Third Mind exhibition and now I'm wandering aimlessly around the Beaubourg...fortunately it was Nouveau Beaujolais time so it seems somehow fitting that instead of getting upset I just got off my tits