Cut/up and Cyberpunk

The place not for Burroughs but for the Burroughsian -- Scientology, Lemurs, Weapons, Mind Control...

Moderator: RealityStudio

Frank Caranetti

Cut/up and Cyberpunk

Post by Frank Caranetti » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:03 am

Hello,
I'm currently working on the influence of William Burroughs' cut-up technique on Cyberpunk writers, especially William Gibson.
Does anybody know if Gibson actually used cut-ups ? He sometimes says he did but never gives examples.

thanks,
Frank Caranetti

Mr Lightfoot

Post by Mr Lightfoot » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:29 pm

I remember parts of Neuromancer where the sentence structure broke down a bit... and I remember thinking, 'Oh, I wonder if that's a cut-up?' (I knew he liked Burroughs). No copy handy to refer to but I'm sure if you reread with a detectives eye, you will find some likely passages.

Also, you are probably aware of this, but Gibson has a blog:

http://www.williamgibsonbooks.com/blog/blog.asp

There's a link to a Gibson forum there where you may find further assistance.

Frank Caranetti

Post by Frank Caranetti » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:34 am

His writing certainly reminds me of Burroughs... He wrote a text called "Academy Leader" that is pretty much a tribute to Burroughs, and which starts with "Ride music beams back to base" (from 'Nova Express' if I remember correctly).
He says he wrote it by "reclycing" older texts although it's quite difficult to prove whether it's cut-up / collage / self quotation.
Does anyone know this text ?
By the way, does "Gentlemen, that is not now nor will it ver be my concern..." ring a bell to you Burroughs readers ?

Thanks again,
Frank Caranetti