Mayan Codices

The place not for Burroughs but for the Burroughsian -- Scientology, Lemurs, Weapons, Mind Control...

Moderator: RealityStudio

AndyJ

Mayan Codices

Post by AndyJ » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:12 am

Does anyone out there know which book/books WSB used to study the Mayan Codices?

If not does anyone know of a good starting point. I'd like to get a little more knowledge on the subject. Many thanks.

RCWG
Name a Burroughs book: Junkie

Re: Mayan Codices

Post by RCWG » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:44 am

There was an interesting programme on UK TV a couple of weeks ago(channel 4 I think) about the latest finds in Mayan archaeology. They send a helicopter equipped with some type of laser scanning device over miles and miles of treetop canopies. This generated a 3D model of all manmade objects under the trees. The experts were saying that before they thought the Mayan world (over 3 or 4 present countries) had a population of about 2 million. now they reckon it was closer to 20 million and that's with only about 1/10th of the area scanned, so it will most definitely become larger. They discovered that old Mayan cities that had been excavated for decades had hundreds of other buildings nearby. There were connecting roads and defensive walls miles long and tens of thousands of new buildings.
There was a lot of head scratching and beard pulling and mutterings of "this changes everything..."
Hopefully they may find more codices in some of these newly found buildings.
I'd imagine the books Burroughs read are all still valid, but there will be books coming out soon talking of how it was a much bigger set up than previously imagined.
Cheers

edward_de_vere

Post by edward_de_vere » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:56 am

I don't know the specific books that WSB studied, but he befriended Robert Barlow, an archaeologist and anthropologist with expertise on the Maya. Barlow was quite interesting in his own right - as a teenager, he was a pen-pal of H.P. Lovecraft.

RCWG
Name a Burroughs book: Junkie

Post by RCWG » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:08 am

I remember the name Robert Barlow from the murky depths of my memory.
was he the one who killed himself?

AndyJ

Post by AndyJ » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:25 am

Interesting, thanks for the replies.
I will have to keep my eyes open for future work on the codices and do some digging on Barlow.