Hal Chase

The place not for Burroughs but for the Burroughsian -- Scientology, Lemurs, Weapons, Mind Control...

Moderator: RealityStudio

edward_de_vere

Hal Chase

Post by edward_de_vere » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:25 am

I had always wondered what became of Hal Chase after his association with the Beats. He had studied anthropology and archeology at Columbia and was apparently involved with some important studies of American Indian sites in the southwest, including the Clovis.

Digging around online for information on Chase, I came across this blog. Apparently, the blogger's mother was Hal Chase's girlfriend in the 40's and 50's, and shares some reminiscences and photos:

http://feministaikidoka.blogspot.com/20 ... ology.html

Incidentally, I recall reading somewhat that Hal Chase was the model for "Moore" in WSB's Queer, who is described as a prematurely aged, hate-filled little man and compared to a piece of meat left to rot on a shelf. As I recall, the narrator then goes on to say something to the effect of "I'm not much of a connoisseur of woman's bodies, but even I could tell that Moore's wife would be terrible in bed" or something like that. Perhaps WSB was referring to the blogger's mother Ginger.

Obviously there wasn't much love lost between Hal Chase and WSB, if Chase was indeed the model for "Moore."