Lemurs, Millipedes and narcotics

The place not for Burroughs but for the Burroughsian -- Scientology, Lemurs, Weapons, Mind Control...

Moderator: RealityStudio

RCWG
Name a Burroughs book: Junkie

Lemurs, Millipedes and narcotics

Post by RCWG » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:39 am

I just watched an interesting animal documentary on the BBC.
It concerned the brown and black lemurs of Madagascar. It turns out one of the things they enjoy eating are bright red millipedes. The lemurs were picking them off trees and biting them in half then sucking on them. The millipedes then release chemicals, including strychnine, which warns off smaller creatures. but to the lemurs its the right amount to send them FURTHUR.
I think the science behind it is that the lemurs are supposed to rub the millipedes over thier fur and it acts as a kind of insecticide. The side affects showed the lemurs going cross eyed, dribbling at the mouth, falling over then eventually going on the nod.
Dissapointingly the programme didnt go on to talk about any fat lemurs cornering the market, cutting millipedes with milk sugar or the millipede pyramid of need.

edward_de_vere

Re: Lemurs, Millipedes and narcotics

Post by edward_de_vere » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:47 pm

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/le ... ede-supply

Along the same lines, I remember finding large black and yellow millipedes in upstate NY and Pennsylvania that looked like this:

They gave off a strong almond-like odor when I picked them up, obviously cyanide. I wonder if the narcotic effect that the lemurs experience is from the cyanide itself (which in small doses does cause people to get light-headed and dizzy), or from other compounds in whatever toxic cocktail the Madagascar millipedes are secreting.