New Books: Heads: A Biography of Psychedelic America and Days of Rage

The place not for Burroughs but for the Burroughsian -- Scientology, Lemurs, Weapons, Mind Control...

Moderator: RealityStudio

Jed

New Books: Heads: A Biography of Psychedelic America and Days of Rage

Post by Jed » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:58 am

Some of you out there might find this book interesting. It is not your typical LSD book like Acid Dreams or Storming Heaven, which I also recommend. This book takes The Grateful Dead as a culture and uses the Dead, Deadheads and Dead Space as the central thread in which to analyze head culture post-60s in terms of the LSD market, taping and tape distribution, communes, technology and computers arguing the heads and head ideas like free information pervade today's culture.

Reading a book now by Bryan Burrough who wrote Public Enemies, which became a Johnny Depp movie. I recommend Public Enemies if anybody if fascinated by 1930s bank robbers. The book shows how the modern FBI developed out of trying to capture Dillinger and the Barker Gang. His latest book is called Days of Rage and is about American Revolutionary groups from the late 1960s to the mid-1980s. Groups you heard of like The Weatherman and SLA but others more obscure like the Black Liberation Army. I am still reading the book but it has been very informative so far. Much more informative on the details of various actions and what really motivated them than you will get in a memoir by Bill Ayers or Mark Rudd.