Burroughs has gone insane

The place not for Burroughs but for the Burroughsian -- Scientology, Lemurs, Weapons, Mind Control...

Moderator: RealityStudio

RCWG
Name a Burroughs book: Junkie

Burroughs has gone insane

Post by RCWG » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:56 am

I just finished reading the Burroughs letters 1945-1959. I thoroughly enjoyed them and they give a great insight into his frame of mind in these years and his ideas of developement of Naked Lunch. Ive never been a big fan of Kerouac or Ginsberg but was wondering if there are similar letters books by these 2 that would have a sizeable output of letters to Burroughs.
Are there any books like this?
It would be interesting to see the letters that Ginsberg wrote to Burroughs 1945-1959, to kind of match them up for a bit more understanding.
Did bill keep all the letters he received?
I know ginsberg was quite, ahem "anal" in this department.

Online i found this report on Burroughs written by Kerouac in Tanger to Lucien Carr in early 1957.

Its always good to hear what the old bugger was up to:

Dear Lucien & Cessa —

Writing to you by candlelight from the mysterious Casbah — have a magnificent room overlooking the beach & the bay & the sea & can see Gibraltar — patio to sun on, room maid, $20 a month — feel great but Burroughs has gone insane he has, — he keeps saying he's going to erupt into some unspeakable atrocity such as waving his dingdong at an Embassy part & such or slaughtering an Arab boy to see what his beautiful insides look like — Naturally I feel lonesome with this old familiar lunatic but lonesomer than ever with him as he'll also mumble, or splurt, most of his conversation, in some kind of endless new British lord imitation, it all keeps pouring out of him in an absolutely brilliant horde of words & in fact his new book is best thing of its kind in the world (Genet, Celine, Miller, etc.) & we might call it WORD HOARD...he, Burroughs, (not "Lee" any more) unleashes his word hoard, or horde, on the world which has been awaiting the Only Prophet, Burroughs — His message is all scatalogical homosexual super-violent madness, — his manuscript is all that has been saved from the original vast number of written pages of WORD HOARD which he'd left in all the boy's privies of the world — and so on, — I sit with him in elegant French restaurant & he spits out his bones like Mr. Hyde and keeps yelling obscene words to be heard by the continental clienteles — (like he done in Rome, yelling FART at a big palazzio party) — I'll be glad when Allen gets here. — Meanwhile I explores the Casbah, high on opium or hasheesh or any drink or drug I want, & dig the Arabs. — The Slovenija was a delightful ship, I ate every day at one long white tablecloth with that one Yugoslavian woman spy. — We hit a horrendous tempest 2 days out, nothing like I ever seen, — that big steel ship was lost in mountains of hissing water, awful. — I cuddled up with TWO TICKETS TO TANGIER and got my laughs, I read every word, Cess, really a riot. — Also read Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling which you should read, it's down on your corner. — Right now I'm high on 3 Sympatinas, Spanish bennies of a sort, mild. — Happy pills galore. — The gal situation here is worse than the boy situation, nothing but male whores all over, & their supplementary queens. — Met an actual contraband sailing ship adventurer with a mustache. Etc. More anon.

Miss you & hope you're well.

Jack

davee_mac

Re: Burroughs has gone insane

Post by davee_mac » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:15 am

i don't know much about the Beats and their letters

but thanks for typing out that letter by Kerouac. What an insight!

Jim Pennington
Name a Burroughs book: Junky

Post by Jim Pennington » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:21 pm

i went and got a copy of that Two Tickets To Tangier .... a 'riot' if you like 'airport paperbacks' .. what did they call that genre back then? At least Jack had other stuff to read on that long haul across the pond. What grabs me about the letter is the Slovenija ... now that's a little research project .. ticket prices, passenger lists, on-board menus, accomodation standards, itineraries ..... what were these boats that took passengers that were not tramp steamers, banana boats or cruise liners..? full of spies going home and beats on their hols...

Graham Rae

Post by Graham Rae » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:59 pm

Jim Pennington
Name a Burroughs book: Junky

Post by Jim Pennington » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:37 am

Thanks (belatedly), Graham , for this link. It looks like there should be a photo but nothing came up. Here is a brochure I came across for another ship in the same line. On another site I discovered that the Slovenija was forced into Oran harbour by the French navy the year after Kerouac was a passenger because it was carrying weapons for the FLN. Kerouac was right in saying the boat was " a little seedy".
Attachments
kerouac slovenia freighter.jpg
kerouac slovenia freighter.jpg (42.74 KiB) Viewed 1742 times