Brion Gysin's The Process

The place not for Burroughs but for the Burroughsian -- Scientology, Lemurs, Weapons, Mind Control...

Moderator: RealityStudio

BansheeYage
Name a Burroughs book: Junky

Brion Gysin's The Process

Post by BansheeYage » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:43 am

Curious how many of you have read this novel by the only man Burroughs ever respected. I haven't read it yet but I'm torn between what to read having just finished The Western Lands by Burroughs and The Process was lying on my desk.

Is it similar to Burroughs style? It was first published in 1969 following Burroughs cut-up trilogy, does it employ cut-ups? What are some of the themes present in the novel?

No spoilers please!
"I have a thousand faces and a thousand names. I am nobody I am everybody. I am me I am you. I am here there forward back in out. I stay everywhere I stay nowhere. I stay present I stay absent."

dheadley
Name a Burroughs book: Junky

Re: Brion Gysin's The Process

Post by dheadley » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:11 pm

This is Gysin's version of the Sheltering Sky. There's a black guy (Gysin's alter ego?) travelling across the Sahara on the backs of trucks. Druggy but more Castaneda than WSB. There are lots of lovingly described keef pipes, Arab boys etc. but I found it flowery and pretentious.

Don't let me put you off. It's a historical document and it's interesting watching Gysin trying to get away from himself.