Has anyone seen the movie or read the book of Crash by J.G. Ballard?

The place not for Burroughs but for the Burroughsian -- Scientology, Lemurs, Weapons, Mind Control...

Moderator: RealityStudio

BansheeYage
Name a Burroughs book: Junky

Has anyone seen the movie or read the book of Crash by J.G. Ballard?

Post by BansheeYage » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:31 am

I figured that since Ballard was a confessed student of Burrough's work that posting this topic in the Burroughsian section of the site wouldn't be too irrelevant because I'm curious if anyone can share their review of the film and book since I wouldn't think it too much a stretch that many of Ballard's fans are also fans of Burroughs.

Currently I'm making my way through The Place of Dead Roads by Burroughs and after completing both that and The Western Lands so as to complete the Red Night Trilogy I intend on reading Crash since I generally like to read the source material before watching any film adaptations. I'm a huge fan of Cronenberg so I imagine that the film ought to be pretty good in the same way that I liked his adaptation of Naked Lunch.

Any reviews?
"I have a thousand faces and a thousand names. I am nobody I am everybody. I am me I am you. I am here there forward back in out. I stay everywhere I stay nowhere. I stay present I stay absent."

torsrthidesen
Name a Burroughs book: junky

Re: Has anyone seen the movie or read the book of Crash by J.G. Ballard?

Post by torsrthidesen » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:47 pm

BansheeYage wrote:I figured that since Ballard was a confessed student of Burrough's work that posting this topic in the Burroughsian section of the site wouldn't be too irrelevant because I'm curious if anyone can share their review of the film and book since I wouldn't think it too much a stretch that many of Ballard's fans are also fans of Burroughs.

Currently I'm making my way through The Place of Dead Roads by Burroughs and after completing both that and The Western Lands so as to complete the Red Night Trilogy I intend on reading Crash since I generally like to read the source material before watching any film adaptations. I'm a huge fan of Cronenberg so I imagine that the film ought to be pretty good in the same way that I liked his adaptation of Naked Lunch.

Any reviews?
I have not read it. Always wanted to because I love the movie. Same with Highrise - novel and movie, always wanted to read and the movie looks good.
BUT I read Ballard's "The Atrocity Exhibition" when I was 17. That's Ballard's "Burroughs" book. A sort of rip-off of Naked Lunch. A bunch of "subversive and disgusting scenarios and scenes", "routines" if you will. It sort of ruined Ballard for me. Have you read that one?
Ballard seems, to me, like Anthony Burgess - one of those old school authors who are really kinda boring and cerebral. Just lots of conceptual ideas and no heart. Not soul, like, say, Nabokov...

Let us know if you do read it.

Graham Rae

Post by Graham Rae » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:37 pm

I've read it. Cold, psychopathic (on purpose), difficult going. What about it? WSB and JGB have Rimbaud in common, and it shows through in Crash. Did you read the excellent piece on their relationship on this site? If not, I'll be kind to you and save you looking for a link:

http://realitystudio.org/scholarship/wi ... g-ballard/

Film of Crash is shite, though I did end up fucking my girlfriend at the time doggy style halfway through it when I first saw it, so we could both watch it, so I guess it has a certain baseline erotic appeal. :roll:

Jim Pennington
Name a Burroughs book: Junky

Post by Jim Pennington » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:07 am

Ballard seems, to me, like Anthony Burgess - one of those old school authors who are really kinda boring and cerebral. Just lots of conceptual ideas and no heart. Not soul, like, say, Nabokov...
old school only if you mean a use of language that is more linear than Burroughs, cerebral only if you mean, in Ballard's Crash/High Rise/Concrete Island work, that the seemingless pointless 'dead pan' 'european modernist' narrative is a thousand yard stare too far, and in Burgess, that some of the stuff is a bit high-falutin (which some is, especially when he goes all joyce studies on you..let alone when the bees in his bonnet are music and language).
If I had to pick and choose: for Ballard I'd keep High Rise on the shelf to read again (certainly nothing before Crash and exclude Empire of the Sun and all beyond) and for Burgess, either MF or Nothing Like The Sun (which is easier and funnier to read than Clockwork Orange).
As for the Cronenberg films: Crash was just an excuse for low-lit soft core with a half-good sound-track and I have a horrible feeling it was a film that Jeremy Clarkson liked. Naked Lunch was more about Paul and Jane Bowles with a back-drop of NL imagery so Cronenberg could keep his special FX and model makers employed - a great film but not Naked Lunch...which we all know is un-filmable: actually that's not true, it has been filmed but in bits and by mistake... Balch's Horror Hospital is some of it, Decoder is another, scenes from Harry Smith too ... (to be continued)

Graham Rae

Post by Graham Rae » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:20 pm

The Unlimited Dream Company is a fucking excellent JGB novel. The collected interviews are good, and the RE/Search books too. Always liked JGB more as a thinker than a writer, mostly, to be honest.