Magazines and periodicals

The place not for Burroughs but for the Burroughsian -- Scientology, Lemurs, Weapons, Mind Control...

Moderator: RealityStudio

torsrthidesen
Name a Burroughs book: junky

Magazines and periodicals

Post by torsrthidesen » Sat May 07, 2016 11:29 am

There is a lot of mention of obscure periodical on this site. Most of them are very rare and 'hard to get' - which in part is what makes them interesting. But I was wondering if there were any periodicals that aren't that hard to find from the 70s and 80s relating to Burroughs, Ginsberg, Beat and more obscure and esoteric literature in general... Or political. I remember buying a bundle of 'Fifth Estate' magazines on ebay that were a treat. But not having grown up in USA or UK I'm a little clueless unless it's Crawdaddy...
Any recommendations? There must be a plethora of now-defunct magazines in the productive 70s and 80s that housed names like Bukowski and Selby Jr...

Kevin
Name a Burroughs book: Beat Scene

Re: Magazines and periodicals

Post by Kevin » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:05 am

Tor, Harold Norse magazine BASTARD ANGEL is a good place. Only 3 issues produced but for the times the printing standards were good. They might be found for maybe £40 (or $60 USA) maybe. Lots of Beats in those. Kerouac, Burroughs, Bukowski even and loads more. In England from the 1960s Tom Raworths OUTBURST magazine is another you might search out. Or even Jim Burns and his PALANTIR magazine, which ran for about 20 issues in 1970s. John Clellon Holmes etc.

Kevin Ring (Beat Scene magazine in England)

torsrthidesen
Name a Burroughs book: junky

Re: Magazines and periodicals

Post by torsrthidesen » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:47 pm

Kevin wrote:Tor, Harold Norse magazine BASTARD ANGEL is a good place. Only 3 issues produced but for the times the printing standards were good. They might be found for maybe £40 (or $60 USA) maybe. Lots of Beats in those. Kerouac, Burroughs, Bukowski even and loads more. In England from the 1960s Tom Raworths OUTBURST magazine is another you might search out. Or even Jim Burns and his PALANTIR magazine, which ran for about 20 issues in 1970s. John Clellon Holmes etc.

Kevin Ring (Beat Scene magazine in England)
Hi Kevin. Thanks! I'll check those out.
(And sorry I never bought that Cowen* Beat Scene issue I emailed you about lo these many years ago. I'm a cheapskate, but I'm mending my ways with my steady income.)
*I think it was Cowen anyway.