sidearms

The place not for Burroughs but for the Burroughsian -- Scientology, Lemurs, Weapons, Mind Control...

Moderator: RealityStudio

bezoar

sidearms

Post by bezoar » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:56 pm

I'm in the market for a pistol. I was just wondering if any armed citizens on this board have any personal recommendations. I have a shotgun that I normally use for skeet, which could also be used for self defense, but there are times when I don't want to go to the door (or outside of the door) brandishing something that obvious. I'm after a small carry pistol that could also double for a little target shooting. Someone was at the door at 2 A.M. the other night. It ended up being a girl that had run out of gas. I don't need anybody having a stroke from me answering the door with a shotgun in my hand, at least until everything turns into The Road Warrior and they stop bothering to ask for the gas first.

http://www.bersapistols.com/item.aspx?PID=624

I was considering this one since I'm not out to spend 500-600 bucks on anything right now. If you've gotten a good deal on a pistol lately I'm all eyes.

johnny

Post by johnny » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:47 pm

That looks pretty sweet. Check these out: the K9... MK9
http://www.kahr.com/review_gw_0500.html

SlobodanBurgher

Post by SlobodanBurgher » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:20 am

Josh

Post by Josh » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:58 am

I have always loved the 1911 Colt 45, although its a collectors gun and not really something you 'd want to carry around.

http://www.rolly-armes.com/pistolets-re ... 1%20A1.jpg

GLN

Re: sidearms

Post by GLN » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:40 pm

bezoar wrote:I'm in the market for a pistol. I was just wondering if any armed citizens on this board have any personal recommendations. .
For target shooting, I recommend the Browning Buck Mark, .22. Beautiful weight and balance. If you buy a new one, expect for it to last your lifetime and become an heirloom.

I like .22 for target shooting because the cost of ammunition is very low. Not the case with the higher, (and noisier) calibers.

I'm very curious about a Sig Sauer .22 called "The Mosquito" but I reckon it's illegal in Canada because of the short barrel.

Mr Lightfoot

Post by Mr Lightfoot » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:34 pm

Well boys, I'm glad I live in Australia, where it is extremely hard to get a gun, and deaths from guns is practically unheard of.

johnny

Post by johnny » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:50 am

Mr Lightfoot

Post by Mr Lightfoot » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:18 am

What the hell you going to do with a thing like that?

Okay, there are a lot of guns about in the U.S., so you feel you ought to get one yourself. I understand the logic there, even though I would prefer not to own a gun myself, even if I did live in the U.S.. But really, I hope you are joking about that thing you put a link to there Johnny...

Can you guys really just walk into a shop and buy a thing like that? You need a licence or anything?

johnny

Post by johnny » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:02 am

Down boy. It's a hoax. Pretty funny one too, if you ask me.

High Tech High Art http://www.nextbigthing.org/

Jakob Boeskov is not a weapons dealer. But two summers ago, he and his artist friends came up with a project that took him deep into the heart of the international weapons trade, armed only with fake business cards and a poster of the most terrible weapon he could imagine – the "ID Sniper Rifle." His experiences at China Police 2002, which he shares with host Dean Olsher, formed the basis of a traveling art exhibit. Produced by Julie Subrin and Pejk Malinovski.

GLN

Post by GLN » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:18 pm

Can you guys really just walk into a shop and buy a thing like that? You need a license or anything?
I don't know anything about the USA but in Canada, in order to obtain a license (and there are different kinds of license), the citizen must take costly courses and pass them with a score (if memory serves) of 80%.

The courses are a few hundred dollars and take about a week of evenings to complete. The courses are all about safety and I don't know anyone who thinks this is a bad idead.

The license is anywhere from $50 to about $80. The license must be renewed every five years, for another $50 to $80.

Every time a firearm is purchased, there is 'a registration fee' which is just a form of taxation, above and beyond the usual high level of taxation for goods and services.

In Canada, a citizen can have a "Possession" License, a "Restricted Firearms" License and a "Prohibited Firearms" License.

"Restricted" applies to handguns/side-arms. In order to buy a handgun with the "Restricted" License, the citizen must prove to be a member of an an official "Gun Club" where target shooting can be safely practiced. On top of the License, a citizen must also have a "Travel Permit," authorizing the transport of the firearm to-and-from the shooting range at the Club. The "Travel Permit" doesn't cost anything but the time needed for filling out a rather complicated Form.

"Prohibited" applies to citizens who have collections of things like machine guns, handguns with very short barrels, are fully automatic and etc. Having the "Prohibited" License doesn't entitle a citizen to go out and buy such a firearm; they are just allowed to keep the ones they have collected and this happens at the discretion of the Firearms Registry.

Zahgurim

Post by Zahgurim » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:48 pm

Not a fan of small automatics, especially budget models, they jam far too frequently.

A small double action revolver would probably be better suited for your needs and still be reasonably priced. A .38 with ACP rounds would be my suggestion. If you have neighbors very close by then there are special pre-fragmented rounds that won't penetrate walls quite as easily, the irony of safer bullets.

You will hopefully never have to use it but its better to have a gun that will do what its supposed to, in my opinion revolvers are simply more reliable.
Beware of fools' safety.

edward_de_vere

Re: sidearms

Post by edward_de_vere » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:29 pm

I know that police in some areas carry Bersa pistols, so they must be somewhat reliable.

When it comes to affordable semiautomatic pistols, I would recommend the Smith and Wesson Sigma series. You can probably find a used one in good condition at a very good price.

Personally, I've always preferred revolvers. Sure, you get fewer shots, but they're generally much less expensive, and have fewer moving parts so are less likely to jam (as a bonus, they're quick to disassemble and clean).