The Magical Universe

The place not for Burroughs but for the Burroughsian -- Scientology, Lemurs, Weapons, Mind Control...

Moderator: RealityStudio

johnny

The Magical Universe

Post by johnny » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:18 am

I stopped in our local occult bookstore yesterday: FIELDS at 1419 Polk Street. The owner showed me a magnificent new book: BOROUGH SATYR, The Life and Art of Osman Spare. There is a limited edition of 500 in hard cover and they cost $125. However the paperback is $57.95. So I slowly browsed through it and I believe this is the best book ever on the "Father of Chaos Magic." I mentioned Rosaleen Norton and the owner showed me a bio of hers called: PAN'S DAUGHTER, The Magical World of Rosaleen Norton, for only 16 dollars which I bought. FIELDS is the only place I know of in SF where one can find these kinds of books.

johnny

Post by johnny » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:54 pm

I took this from a long rant on a christian site about how Kurt Cobain was possessed by the devil. Burroughs references.

Cobain’s involvement in black magic and witchcraft would escalate to the point that Cobain would begin casting spells in an effort to see his will done (op. cit. Sandford,  p. 172).  Cobain’s interest in the occult would eventually lead him into a relationship with occultist William Burroughs.  Stephen Davis, the biographer of the Led Zeppelin saga “Hammer of the Gods”, compares Burroughs to Satanist Aleister Crowley, stating:

“Like Crowley, Burroughs was an urbane and genial human Lucifer, a modern magus, a legendary addict, and an artist whose influence extended far beyond literature to music, painting and film.” (Stephen Davis, Hammer of the Gods, Ballantine Books, New York, 1985, p. 237).

Burroughs also associated with Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page and, ironically, it was Burroughs who first christened hard rock with the label “Heavy Metal” (Ibid.  p. 104).  Burroughs claimed that he first became demon possessed after killing his wife. Cobain would seek out Burroughs’ services seeking his collaboration on a music project (Op. Cit. Sandford, p. 255).  In a Rolling Stone interview, Cobain would later underscore as one of the highlights of his life that of “Meeting William Burroughs and doing a record with him” (Kurt Cobain: The Rolling Stone Interview, By David Fricke, January 27, 1994).  Such was Burroughs’ influence on  Cobain that, “William S. Burroughs received ‘special thanks’ on In Utero for being a cherished inspiration to Cobain (op. cit. Teen Spirit, Chuck Crisafulli, p. 84).

Besides William Burroughs, Cobain was "obsessed with Anton LaVey" (Mojo Magazine, Sept. 1999, p. 86). Anton LaVey was the founder of the Church of Satan and the author of the Satanic Bible.  So obsessed was Cobain with Satanist Anton LaVey that he sought to enlist LaVey by having him play cello on Nirvana's Nevermind album!  Cobain’s involvement in witchcraft and Satanism is a fitting explanation as to the source of his inspiration and the uncanny ability he had for coming up with alluring and seductive hooks that so frantically enticed Nirvana’s fans.  Cobain is described as “stumbling on melodies by means he himself didn’t fully understand.” (op. cit. Sanders, p. 70).  In the occult, this is referred to as automatic writing is a process wherein a demonic being channels poetry or lyrics through a human being in an effort to negatively effect society.  This is surely what took place through Cobain, the willing and twisted medium for satanic forces.  Even the legendary guitarist Chuck Berry would exclaim, “he had a touch most guitarists would kill for” (Ibid., p. 71).  While “kill for” might be a stretch, sell one’s soul for is far more fitting. 

Cobain the Drug Addict

Cobain’s infatuation with Burroughs probably transcended that of his occult involvement and was in part due to Burroughs notoriety as an addict.  Cobain had a special love for drugs.  Heroin was one of his drugs of choice. 

JPaul23

Re: The Magical Universe

Post by JPaul23 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:58 am

johnny wrote:I stopped in our local occult bookstore yesterday: FIELDS at 1419 Polk Street. The owner showed me a magnificent new book: BOROUGH SATYR, The Life and Art of Osman Spare. There is a limited edition of 500 in hard cover and they cost $125. However the paperback is $57.95. So I slowly browsed through it and I believe this is the best book ever on the "Father of Chaos Magic." I mentioned Rosaleen Norton and the owner showed me a bio of hers called: PAN'S DAUGHTER, The Magical World of Rosaleen Norton, for only 16 dollars which I bought. FIELDS is the only place I know of in SF where one can find these kinds of books.
Yes Borough Satyr is a beautiful book, as are all the other books on AOSpare by the same publisher.
I bought one of the 3 large "From The Inferno To Zos" volumes on AOS in Shamballa Books in the "Bay" when I was in SF a few years ago, so you could also look there, it's very small but had some interesting and rare second-hand stuff.

Frank

Post by Frank » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:10 am

of course, Burroughs makes mention of Aleister Crowley several times in his writings. I remember him saying that Crowley might have been a great magician but he was a terrible writer, or something to that affect, which shows that he did read, or attempt to read the Beast's books.