Question on Port of Saints

This is the place to talk about everything Burroughs.

Moderator: RealityStudio

BansheeYage
Name a Burroughs book: Junky

Question on Port of Saints

Post by BansheeYage » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:14 am

Hey so I have a question concerning the thematic ideas conveyed in Port of Saints. I have read nearly all of Burroughs novels, a number of his short story compilations, interview books, and side stories, but Port of Saints is one that I have yet to read for whatever reason. From what I've heard Port of Saints is an amalgam of Burroughs ideas from the Wild Boys era and what would develop into the Red Night trilogy. Can anyone who has read POS confirm or deny this description? I will undoubtedly read the book sooner or later, but I was just curious about whether or not the book will shed light on new ideas from Burroughs or if it's treading themes covered in previous or later novels by him.
"I have a thousand faces and a thousand names. I am nobody I am everybody. I am me I am you. I am here there forward back in out. I stay everywhere I stay nowhere. I stay present I stay absent."

GLN

Re: Question on Port of Saints

Post by GLN » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:57 am

Perhaps of some importance to understand, there are two editions of PORT OF SAINTS.

The first is that produced by Richard Aaron and Covent Garden Press in 1973 as a hardbound book with a paper dustjacket in a slipcase. In my opinion, a handsome book with high production values.

This first edition has illustrations in the form of photos and drawings.

The second edition is from Blue Wind Press, 1980. This may be paperback only, as that is all I have to hand. No illustrations. Just text.

I would agree with some of your statement about "amalgams" of ideas and work that represents a transition to the work found in the final trilogy.

I think of them as explorations of working out diverse discursive patterns and ideas already in play, like THE WILD BOYS. If you found that work to be interesting, then either of the two editions would probably be of interest to you.

I enjoyed reading the first edition more than the second as I was quite smitten with the pictorial content of the first.

In retrospect, it reminded me of THE THIRD MIND in terms of pictorial content in conjunction with verbal semantic content.