Number 23

This is the place to talk about everything Burroughs.

Moderator: RealityStudio

saraazul
Name a Burroughs book: Junky

Number 23

Post by saraazul » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:18 pm

Lately I've been searching about the interest of magic and ocult by Burroughs and I crossed upon this theory:

"Robert Anton Wilson cites William S. Burroughs as the first person to believe in the 23 enigma.[1] Wilson, in an article in Fortean Times, related the following anecdote:

I first heard of the 23 enigma from William S Burroughs, author of Naked Lunch, Nova Express, etc. According to Burroughs, he had known a certain Captain Clark, around 1960 in Tangier, who once bragged that he had been sailing 23 years without an accident. That very day, Clark’s ship had an accident that killed him and everybody else aboard. Furthermore, while Burroughs was thinking about this crude example of the irony of the gods that evening, a bulletin on the radio announced the crash of an airliner in Florida, USA. The pilot was another Captain Clark and the flight was Flight 23." ( info from wikipedia)

I was wondering if someone could tell me if this is plausible or not.

BansheeYage

Re: Number 23

Post by BansheeYage » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 am

In regards to your question about it being plausible, I suppose anything is possible, particularly, if magic is supposedly involved. From what I've heard Genesis P-Orridge from Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV claimed that Burroughs had told s/he the story as well if you're interested in further proof that Burroughs did indeed recount this story.
"I have a thousand faces and a thousand names. I am nobody I am everybody. I am me I am you. I am here there forward back in out. I stay everywhere I stay nowhere. I stay present I stay absent."

Jim Pennington

Re: Number 23

Post by Jim Pennington » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:28 am

i am thinking of getting a slice of this action::::
http://festival23.org.uk/the-experience-2/
in the grand scheme of Venn diagrams Robert Anton Wilson does a pretty massive Venn with Burroughs ...
http://www.generalsemantics.org/akml