Guardian Review of Andrew Lees, Mentored by a Madman

This is the place to talk about everything Burroughs.

Moderator: RealityStudio

jadecar
Name a Burroughs book: junky

Guardian Review of Andrew Lees, Mentored by a Madman

Post by jadecar » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:38 pm

Has anyone else seen the Guardian: Burroughs, Yage, Andrew Lees. Parkinson's Disease:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/jul/21/how-willi reviewam-burroughss-drug-experiments-helped-neurology-research#comments

BansheeYage
Name a Burroughs book: Junky

Re: Guardian Review of Andrew Lees, Mentored by a Madman

Post by BansheeYage » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:27 am

Link doesn't work :/
"I have a thousand faces and a thousand names. I am nobody I am everybody. I am me I am you. I am here there forward back in out. I stay everywhere I stay nowhere. I stay present I stay absent."

edward_de_vere

Post by edward_de_vere » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:30 pm

Here you go:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/ ... y-research

The most amusing part of the story is where Lees says something to the effect that we're fortunate that Burroughs never made it through medical school and became a writer instead (not so much because of his writing, but on account of the sinister Benway-style experiments he would have carried out if he had become an MD).

jadecar
Name a Burroughs book: junky

Post by jadecar » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:18 am

Thanks for making the link live. I don't know what I did wrong. ' Preciate it. And I linked it even before reading Jed's feature interview with the good doctor/author Lees. Yes, I suppose the link should've gone into the Burroughsian section of the Forum, but no matter, it sits well in both. Thanks, Jed, for the interview and, needless to say, I hasten to find and read the book. Was Burroughs ' responsible ' for later ' eco-tourism ' - if that's what's it's called - into S. America of latter-day hippies and seekers of entheogenic substances? If The Yage Letters brought Dr. Lees there, well then, it was a good thing because now we have his book and memoir of Burroughs. I never partook of Ayahuasca, - never had the opportunity - but given the opportunity and the right set of circumstances probably would. Lees mentions he was sixty-five years of age before he found the time and courage to indulge himself. And again I repeat, now we have his book, not only a valuable addition to Burroughsian criticism, but also to the literature of entheogenic substances and to the science of neurology and the treatment of Parkinson's disease. Yes, I would agree that it was probably best that Bill never became a doctor or a scientist. If he had stayed in Vienna in the late Thirties we may never have have come to meet Dr. Benway in the pages of NL and where would we all be then..One shudders to think.