Let Me Hang You - New Burroughs Vinyl Release

This is the place to talk about everything Burroughs.

Moderator: RealityStudio

BansheeYage
Name a Burroughs book: Junky

Let Me Hang You - New Burroughs Vinyl Release

Post by BansheeYage » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:06 am

I haven't seen anything posted on here about this so figured post the good news. A new LP of unearthed Burroughs material will be released this July with the title being "Let Me Hang You".

Based on what I read the content is from Naked Lunch and contains the more grotesque and obscene passages with ambient, experimental, psychedelic aaccompaniment in the background. The collection dates back to the late 90's when before Burroughs death he was approached by musicians to record these passages that they would provide background music for. From what I've read the collection was given a limited release (under a different title I believe) and has been circulating on bidding sites like eBay since for enormous prices given the rarity of the collection.

Now although the content from Naked Lunch had been released in the past, however limitedly, this new compilation is apparently offers new material in the part of the music being revamped and redone from the original release. I wonder if the decision to do this was because of the recent rerelease of Burroughs The Movie. I haven't looked into sales figures, but it appeared to receive a decent amount of promotional praise which may have lended to a renewed interest for businesses in revisiting Burroughs oeuvre.

I already pre-ordered my own copy and can't wait to give it a spin. Do you guys think you'll be picking a copy up?

Here are some links for further information:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/24/arts/ ... g-you.html

https://www.amazon.com/Let-Hang-You-Wil ... entries*=0
"I have a thousand faces and a thousand names. I am nobody I am everybody. I am me I am you. I am here there forward back in out. I stay everywhere I stay nowhere. I stay present I stay absent."

BansheeYage

Re: Let Me Hang You - New Burroughs Vinyl Release

Post by BansheeYage » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:18 am

To be honest, while I do enjoy hearing Burroughs recite his material I'd be much more enthusiastic about the Burroughs estate culling together recordings of his various lectures and interviews and releasing those on vinyl, Blu-Ray/DVD, and ect. than anything else.

There's already a great deal of it on YouTube and I'd love to hear what else might be hiding in the vaults or tracked down from old friends and acquaintances. Hearing him go into detail about such arcane subjects like the construction of wishing machines, supernatural tape recordings, and his ideas on creative writing + reading, are awesome finds.
"I have a thousand faces and a thousand names. I am nobody I am everybody. I am me I am you. I am here there forward back in out. I stay everywhere I stay nowhere. I stay present I stay absent."

torsrthidesen
Name a Burroughs book: junky

Post by torsrthidesen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:23 am

BansheeYage wrote:To be honest, while I do enjoy hearing Burroughs recite his material I'd be much more enthusiastic about the Burroughs estate culling together recordings of his various lectures and interviews and releasing those on vinyl, Blu-Ray/DVD, and ect. than anything else.

There's already a great deal of it on YouTube and I'd love to hear what else might be hiding in the vaults or tracked down from old friends and acquaintances. Hearing him go into detail about such arcane subjects like the construction of wishing machines, supernatural tape recordings, and his ideas on creative writing + reading, are awesome finds.
Hell yes! Seeing at so much is availble at archive.org the mind can only imagine what else there might be. The various cut-up tapes etc are fun for a while, as are all the various sampling pieces and remixes, but surely Grauerholz must be sitting on something somehow. Has anyone asked him? Of ourse, the fear is that there isn't. Though I never questioned Grauerholz's intergrity, I'm imagining the estate is his main income, so why would he hold vital recordings back? He is getting on himself with age.
But other's might be sitting on something more.
Time will tell.
The constant churning out of new release seems halted but not stopped.

BansheeYage

Post by BansheeYage » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:43 pm

The think the reason for the increased activity in Burroughs merchandize is that the youth culture (myself included) has been rediscovering these works. I've known about Burroughs for years through my research into culture and more specifically music, but it wasn't until two years ago that I finally picked up Naked Lunch and I've been hooked ever since.

Burroughs influence in the American underground is virtually ubiquitous, with groups like Joy Division, Soft Machine, and even in black culture with The Disposable Hero's of Hip Hoprisy, to cultural icons like Nirvana, Paul McCartney (Sgt. Peppers cover), and Frank Zappa, so many of the millenials who are in their 20's are finding out who influenced these musical acts and then going on to learning about these figures themselves. Personally, I discovered Burroughs by his collaboration with Kurt Cobain on "The Priest They Called Him", and I can attest to many peers of mine finding out about Old Bull through their musical investigations as well.

Given all that I think that's why there was the restored texts republishing a couple years ago, the restoration of Burroughs: The Movie recently, Kill Your Darlings which I think reinvigorated interest in the entire beat generation because of big Hollywood names like Daniel Radcliffe involved, and now Let Me Hang You.

A new market has opened for beat related products so they're capitalizing on it. Some are likely to say that this is a bad thing, when I'd entirely disagree. This futile and elitist mentality of preserving integrity and "authenticity" in underground ethics by keeping these things on the downlow is pointless. This is 2016, the internet age, all this information is already out there for junkies, marks, hustlers, and board syndicates alike. I say if a new generation is able to derive ideas and value from these works the better. The internet age is in desperate need of subversion.

jadams11

Post by jadams11 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:37 pm