Calder 'Soft Machine' paperback 1968

This is the place to talk about everything Burroughs.

Moderator: RealityStudio

Jim Pennington
Name a Burroughs book: Junky

Calder 'Soft Machine' paperback 1968

Post by Jim Pennington » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:10 pm

I like to get excited when I find an edition that indulges my feeble and lackadaisical ambition to be a completist. A bookshop friend asked if i had the 1968 Calder paperback, describing its 'olive-green' cover and sloping-60's-poster style typography. He'd found it at the bottom of a box of counter-culture mags - Sucks, ITs, Frendz and Leaves. OK - I made that last magazine up but I was beginning to think he'd made the paperback up because a quick trawwwl didn't turn up a single copy up and I didn't remember ever seeing it around. It's listed in M&M so it must be true and I whizzed over this morning to the fair he was at to get it... it's a bit of a shelf-worn copy, he wanted £25, I'd done him a favour last week, we settled on £10 and it's mine.. when I got home and married it up to the HB I saw the half-title page was missing ..... expletives at first, loud ones too.. but I reckon I can make a case for this being a virtue as I believe the print run was very swiftly remaindered (hence the missing half-title) and that there are indeed very few copies around because of this. Someone prove me wrong. And if we want to get into Miles & Maynard minutiae - the publication date is given as the same for both HB and PB and yet the HB says TTTE is "In Preparation" whilst the PB gives its cloth and paper prices. And the HB has no review blurbs.. (look..it's a cold rainy sunday afternoon in london... what else is there to do but make notes inside my M&M while I wait for the potatoes to bake...)