Penny Arcade Adventures (and Burroughs game idea)

This is the place to talk about everything Burroughs.

Moderator: RealityStudio

Greeny
Name a Burroughs book: Junky

Penny Arcade Adventures (and Burroughs game idea)

Post by Greeny » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:26 am

I've recently re-played Penny Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, an amazing action/adventure game that combines the Penny Arcade webcomic, noir, steampunk, and the realms of Lovecraft. It is a postmodern dark comedy that I really recommend to all Burroughs fans (let's just say it includes malevolent ancient gods and robots called Fruit Fuckers that have an... unusual way of extracting juice from oranges; at the end of the series, the world is destroyed, and the story's climax takes place in the afterlife).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRtjG7AHllQ

And this popped into my mind... would the same approach have worked with Burroughs? A lot of his works have darkly humorous elements, and I imagine many of his realms as somewhat cartoonish. Imagine if you could play as detectives investigating the disappearance of Jerry Green, solve puzzles involving tape cut-ups, and have boss battles with Nova Criminals and mugwumps... Unlike Lovecraft, Burroughs doesn't have many adaptations, though many of his stories are very suitable for the comic/videogame format. Perhaps this has to change one day?)

davee_mac

Re: Penny Arcade Adventures (and Burroughs game idea)

Post by davee_mac » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:24 pm

I thought this was going to be a thread about a computer game version of The Wild Boys :D

Greeny
Name a Burroughs book: Junky

Post by Greeny » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:06 am

Hmm, you mean this?

http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/11/wild ... nreleased/

Are you sure it was going to be based on Burroughs' novel?

davee_mac

Post by davee_mac » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:36 pm

er, no... reference was to the Penny Arcade Peep Show sections in The Wild Boys novel.