Restored Texts

This is the place to talk about everything Burroughs.

Moderator: RealityStudio

davee_mac

Re: Restored Texts

Post by davee_mac » Wed May 07, 2014 2:39 pm

Jamie,
as far as TSM is concerned it appears that if anything more stuff has been taken out than put in! There is the odd extra line etc but other than that it seems to be more in the line of corrections, rearranging of the text etc (e.g new chapter divisions)

The Intorduction explains it much more fully than I can, but basically the template for this edtion is a 1962 revised ms by Burroughs which was the basis for the Grove edition, except they (and Calder after them) didn't keep in all that Burroughs wanted

I' probably not explaining that very well :D

I haven't yet got the other two books

WilliamLee
Name a Burroughs book: Junky

Post by WilliamLee » Fri May 09, 2014 2:25 am

I was assuming that with the restored texts I will get more Burroughs than less. But I haven't bought any of these editions yet.

davee_mac

Post by davee_mac » Fri May 09, 2014 12:08 pm

reading Ticket now

it's interesting. You DO get more but more often it's in the Notes... for instance unedited first manuscript versions of passages that are much longer than the 'actual' text in the book

in a sense the changes are almost invisible.... corrected typos, shifts from lower to upper case and vice versa... but the Notes are a superb guide, and the introductions are as illuminating as always

make no mistake these ARE worth buying and I think will be saught out as the definitive editions

David D

Post by David D » Mon May 12, 2014 9:50 am

Just got my copies, and I've only browsed through them and indeed, the 'reproduction' of 'Operation Soft Machine/Cut' is just a disgrace ... Fortunately, RealityStudio does it better ... see this older thread right here: http://realitystudio.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2309 (all credit goes to mr Jim Pennington and not me, mind you ...)

Other than that: can't wait to read these new editions ...
"Most people simply aren't human so far as I am concerned."

davee_mac

Post by davee_mac » Tue May 13, 2014 5:41 am

^
DavidD, that's brilliant, thanks for sharing i'd not seen that thread :)

Ticket is amazing. This was the onei'd paid the l;east attention to. It's gone dramatically up in my eyes and i'd have to say it's up there with NL and TSM for me now; in large part that's due to the Notes/manuscript info Harris has dug up about Burroughs' specific targets in the media (Luce etc) and the Introduction is just amazing... inspirational...

Expense_Account

Post by Expense_Account » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:17 am

"Finally got mine in the mail today. I wanted to wait for electronic editions, but circumstances being what they are..." holds out palms flat and shrugs.

I read the introduction to The Soft Machine first, as I wanted to see how he tackled the "definitive" edition of a book with three very distinct editions. A great (and easy to follow, for such a complex issue) bibliographic history of the Nova "Trilogy" including a nice note about the original print run of the 1st edition Soft Machine being only 5,000 and most people never saw it because it was so rare.

The changes to the texts are very painstakingly noted in the back of each book, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

The intro to The Ticket That Exploded spends a little too much time on the post-effect of the book, which does fall in line with the "outside of time" narrative and experimental/predictive tone, but I would rather have had that kind of stuff as an editorial appendix. I'm just here for the facts.

Once we're done jerking-off to Iggy Pop, we get into the meat of how Ticket was created, and the writer very effectively notes how much recycled and cut-up material is used (and his count is accurate, at least according to my numbers, and I trust his litmus on this more than mine) and some nice notes about the actual songs Burroughs was referring to.

Not finished yet, but by the time I'm done with the Nova Express intro, I hope I'll understand if the "yellow cub" was supposed to be a cub (some kinda space cab) or cab after all.

davee_mac

Post by davee_mac » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:23 am

just thought i'd pop in to say that I got the Kindle version of the TSM RT, and the extracts from 'Operation Soft Machine/Cut' are perfectly readable when in digitised form! (which is a relief, I can actually read the bugger now!!)