Restored Texts

This is the place to talk about everything Burroughs.

Moderator: RealityStudio

mr_porridge

Restored Texts

Post by mr_porridge » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:37 am

Any info on what exactly the "restored texts" of the Nova Trilogy are? I am, of course, aware that there are several editions of each (excepting Nova Express) but what will they be?

I wasn't aware that Nova Express, for example, required a "restoration".

The cover artwork for them is atrocious imo---just uninspired and so boringly ugly. Fourth Estates still have the best covers--sadly I have none of them.

davee_mac

Re: Restored Texts

Post by davee_mac » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:53 pm

I dunno, the Penguin edition of Soft Machine, out in april 22ns in the uk, looks pretty good - v burroughsian collage-type art.

I like the tagline 'Nova Trilogy: Re-Cut' too

davee_mac

Post by davee_mac » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:04 pm

just found out that the Cut-up Trilogy books are all coming out *on the same day*

I might finally pick up the Miles biog when I get these too. I am VERY excited!!

jadams11
Name a Burroughs book: Junky

Post by jadams11 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:23 am

Bravo to Oliver Harris for writing the introductions to the new editions/Restored Text of the 'Cut-Up Trilogy." It's hard to overstate how much detail and insight he managed to get into a few dozen pages at the beginning of each volume. The introductions alone are reason enough to buy the new editions.

Expense_Account

Post by Expense_Account » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:19 am

I just noticed that these are available now on Amazon. How long have they been out? I guess there hasn't been much time yet for any kind of in-depth review?

David D

Post by David D » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:56 am

Silly question perhaps, but I was wondering whether these 'Restored Texts' (Grove, explicitly mentioning prof. Harris on the covers, hideous art) and the 'Cut-Up Trilogy: Re-Cut' (Penguin, cool collage art, as Davee Mac wrote) would essentially contain the same texts, including introductions etc, or are we dealing with two (new) versions/editions?
"Most people simply aren't human so far as I am concerned."

Paul23

Post by Paul23 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:53 am

Chances are they will be the same.

I've downloaded the samples for Soft Machine and Ticket onto my kindle. As previews they only contain a contents page and part of Oliver Harris' introductions. These are well enough written but to be honest don't really offer anything too new. I think I will be waiting until I see some reviews detailing what the "restorations" to the actual texts have been made before I buy these.

It's a pity that no publisher has taken the centenary as an opportunity to reprint the Olympia Press version of The Soft Machine. Given the high price that second hand copies go for that is something I would have pounced on.

jadams11

Post by jadams11 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:34 am

I'm referring to the Grove editions here. I have no knowledge of the Penguins.

I suspect most of us have versions of these books already. So, to me, the supplementary text is what's most interesting. Is the Burroughs material "new"? Not really. Are these books still worth buying? At $12 each on Amazon, I think so.

I found the Harris introductions to be fairly lengthy and quite interesting. I most appreciated the history of the texts, their assembly, and relationship with one another. I found the attention to detail fascinating - including information on some of the more obscure sources of text for the cut-ups and WSB's shifting preference for the em dash versus the ellipses. I'm not sure where other readers would have gotten this information beforehand. The Word Virus reader's chapter introductions aren't as detailed and the new Miles bio, as much as I like it, generally glosses over the history of these books. Harris also provides plenty of information regarding what was included in the "restored" texts, what wasn't, and why.

Also, each volume has a lengthy notes section following the text, detailing the history of each routine (or block of text, when that's a more appropriate description) and how it evolved - or didn't - between the various publications. Again, interesting stuff.

I'd be happy to hear what other folks think.

Paul23

Post by Paul23 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:45 am

Thanks for that information. As I said in my last post, the kindle samples included just an excerpt from the introductions, which wasn't a lot to go on.

Seeing as all three books are selling on amazon for £22 I've gone ahead and ordered them. Looking forward to seeing them for myself. The notes sections sound promising. If they are anthing like as comprehensive as S T Joshi's in the Penguin editions of H P Lovecraft's stories they will add a lot of value to the books.

David D

Post by David D » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:45 am

Thanks, both of you. I really liked Harris' introductions to the recent Junky, Queer and Yage 'updates', and it sounds as if we'll be getting the same thing with this trilogy, which is good news to me.
As to the actual Burroughs texts, I gather that we are getting similar updates/corrections of the old Grove versions we all know best, right? It does indeed seem a pity, in that case, that the other versions were not picked up (especially, indeed for Soft Machine). I kind of dream of a monster edition of SM that includes the three published versions, with notes, introduction and the lot ... Oh well.

Will certainly pick these up in any case, just to see what Harris has done to the texts; with his track record I'm quite confident it'll be insightfully and respectfully done ...

davee_mac

Post by davee_mac » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:19 am

anything Harris writes on Burroughs is a must-read and frankly it's the thought of his new introductions and notes that I am most excited for!

I will be seeing if my local Waterstones has these on Saturday, if not it's Amazon for me

ExpenseAccount, the books came out on April 22nd just this week in the UK, i think a week or so earlier in the US?

David D

Post by David D » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:47 am

Well, the two new editions indeed seem to contain the same material; German Amazon (not the UK site as yet) now displays a 'look inside' preview for the Penguin 'Re-Cut' Soft Machine and on the title page it also becomes 'The Restored Text, edited and with an introduction by Oliver Harris'. So we can just pick the covers we like best, or, alternatively, be silly completists again.

The Soft Machine contents lists the chapter '1920 Movies', so (as this previous topic teaches me: http://realitystudio.org/forum/viewtopi ... 69&start=0), this is basically the second/1966 Machine, but the appendices list material from both the first (1961) and third (1968) versions ...

davee_mac

Post by davee_mac » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:41 am

^
appendices featuring material from the first version? Now THAT'S going to be interesting!!! :)

davee_mac

Post by davee_mac » Sun May 04, 2014 8:12 am

making my way through Soft Machine now

brilliant stuff of course!! It's going to be very easy using this as the definitive edition.

very disappointed in the presentation of 'Operation Soft Machine/Cut' though...... it's all pixelated (at least in the Penguin edition), making its inclusion as an appendix somewhat pointless.....

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Mon May 05, 2014 7:04 am

What's 'Operation Soft Machine/Cut'?

Approximately how much new material is in each of these restored texts? I don't mean typo corrections, etc.m but actual meat.