Blade Runner: A Movie

This is the place to talk about everything Burroughs.

Moderator: RealityStudio

edward_de_vere

Blade Runner: A Movie

Post by edward_de_vere » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:49 am

I've only glanced at Burroughs' Blade Runner: A Movie, but I did notice that it didn't really follow standard screenplay format (no real separation into scenes, indication of fades/cuts, or play-format dialog). In other words, it looked more like a short novel than like a screenplay as such.

Regardless, for those who have read it, how "filmable" was the material, and have there been any (presumably failed) attempts to adapt the material on screen?

HenryJarlow

Re: Blade Runner: A Movie

Post by HenryJarlow » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:42 am

Yes, it's not a screenplay at all, even if some sentences are using cinema references - as usual with Burroughs.

I would say the book would make quite an interesting movie, but if you want a "classic" post-apocalyptic film, would need quite a lot of adaptation work. If you follow it page after page, it would make a very strange, unconnected web of sequences, presumably with an annoying voice-over.

Tom Huckabee was inspired by the book for his Taking Tiger Mountain, but it's not an adaptation - it's a film which takes place in Blade Runner's world.
The movie camera is an externalized section of the human nervous system.

edward_de_vere

Post by edward_de_vere » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:58 am

HenryJarlow wrote:Yes, it's not a screenplay at all, even if some sentences are using cinema references - as usual with Burroughs.

I would say the book would make quite an interesting movie, but if you want a "classic" post-apocalyptic film, would need quite a lot of adaptation work. If you follow it page after page, it would make a very strange, unconnected web of sequences, presumably with an annoying voice-over.

Tom Huckabee was inspired by the book for his Taking Tiger Mountain, but it's not an adaptation - it's a film which takes place in Blade Runner's world.
Have you ever seen the short film adaptation of The Last Words of Dutch Schultz with the Rutger Hauer voice-over?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407938
/

I've been wanting to get my hands on a disk for some time now.

davee_mac

Post by davee_mac » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:42 pm

i'd like to read the Alan Norse novel and compare it to Burrough's work! (which, as has been said above, is by no means a screenplay)

a lot of his work from that time is 'movie-themed' or semi-'movie-format'.... in terms of his visual writing at least... but yes, you couldn't use it as a script

HenryJarlow

Post by HenryJarlow » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:02 pm

edward_de_vere wrote:
Have you ever seen the short film adaptation of The Last Words of Dutch Schultz with the Rutger Hauer voice-over?

I've been wanting to get my hands on a disk for some time now.
Yes I have, but didn't really found it satisfying. You can understand where it tries to get all along, without ever being taken there.
Interesting to see that animation is often used for Burroughs-themed movies: Junky's Christmas, Ah Pook is Here, Dutch Schultz. But then again, the Dutch Schultz movie isn't really an adaptation of Burroughs' work, more of a retelling of the story - even if the people who made it obviously read Burroughs.
The movie camera is an externalized section of the human nervous system.