Grove vs Pengiun vs ... ?

This is the place to talk about everything Burroughs.

Moderator: RealityStudio

Amb
Name a Burroughs book: Queer

Grove vs Pengiun vs ... ?

Post by Amb » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:48 pm

Hello there!

I am planning to buy me some Burroughs. By 'some' I mean that most prabobly I will end up buying everything the Man has written. With that in mind, could you please recommend editions that you consider the best or at least warn me about which should be avoided?

So far I've got a Harper Perennial NL paperback that I received as a gift.

I've read on this forum that the Penguin editions tend to be printed on very thin paper (somebody even mentioned fearing to tear the cover). Is that true also of the 2014 versions of the cut-up trilogy?

Are the Grove editions from the same year better in that respect?

edward_de_vere

Re: Grove vs Pengiun vs ... ?

Post by edward_de_vere » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:16 am

I've read on this forum that the Penguin editions tend to be printed on very thin paper (somebody even mentioned fearing to tear the cover). Is that true also of the 2014 versions of the cut-up trilogy?
Yes, I've found that Grove paperbacks are higher quality than Penguin Books paperbacks (not just thicker paper, but a stronger spine). However, not all of WSB's books were published by Grove - I think only NL, the cut-up trilogy, and The Wild Boys. For the rest, you either have Penguin editions (Junky, Queer etc) and Harcourt for the Red Night trilogy (which also prints sturdier books than Penguin).