Bill as a writing influence

This is the place to talk about everything Burroughs.

Moderator: RealityStudio

DrBenway1210
Name a Burroughs book: The Ticket That Exploded

Bill as a writing influence

Post by DrBenway1210 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:46 pm

Good evening from Brazil,

I'm currently spending my days and effort into something still unknown to me. Fingers typing with Bill as part of the initial influence. Have you guys written anything? If so, how Burroughs influenced it?

paranoiajack
Name a Burroughs book: Kevin Martin

Re: Bill as a writing influence

Post by paranoiajack » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:12 pm

I've written a handful of rather blah novels and I would say, for me, the Burroughs influence has to do more with what I call plot spice than actual technique. I don't think I could write a book the way Burroughs did, with all the copy-and-paste and cut-up stuff. Plot Spice is what I call things like pop-cultural (and even haute cultural) call-backs, references, allusions. In almost all of my books there is a fringe character that is overly paranoid in a Burroughsian way. Even then, as a reader, I gravitate more toward the Red Night Trilogy than the Nova Trilogy. I think it's because I came to Burroughs through JG Ballard, as they are both surrealists. I am not a surrealist, though I like to interject a little surreality into my stories. In contrast to how I use my Burroughs influence, from Ballard I took his razor-sharp and almost clinical descriptions of places and things. Ballard wrote terrain better than Hemingway, in my opinion.

GLN

Re: Bill as a writing influence

Post by GLN » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:20 am

I always found Mr. Burroughs advice on learning to type to be valuable.
Gary Lee-Nova
"Penetrating so many secrets, we cease to believe in the unknowable.
But there it sits, nevertheless, calmly licking its chops.
" - H.L. Mencken