Burroughs gets a statue

This is the place to talk about everything Burroughs.

Moderator: RealityStudio

johnny

Burroughs gets a statue

Post by johnny » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:13 pm

RCWG
Name a Burroughs book: Junkie

Re: Burroughs gets a statue

Post by RCWG » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:33 am

I quite like the statue.
The sculptor said "It's very necessary to have the William Burroughs sculpture here because of what he did for the world intelligentsia," he said. "I believe his art is more important than his personality. St. Louis should be proud to have William Burroughs here."
Don't think you can separate the personality from the art in Burroughs case.
A lot of people don't like either, but I cant imagine many people who like his books but not his personality.
Fuck em all. Squares on both sides

edward_de_vere

Re: Burroughs gets a statue

Post by edward_de_vere » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:52 am

Don't think you can separate the personality from the art in Burroughs case. A lot of people don't like either, but I cant imagine many people who like his books but not his personality.

Burroughs is one of those writers who is (unfortunately, perhaps) probably more famous for his persona and biography than for his books. For every person who has actually read Naked Lunch or any of his other novels, there are a dozen or more who are fascinated by the legend of the black sheep from the blue blood family turned junky turned wife killer turned counterculture icon.

There aren't many other significant literary figures whose life and persona often overshadow their work to such a degree. Hemingway comes close perhaps, but even in the case of Hemingway, there are countless people who enjoy his books without caring about or liking Hemingway's later in life public image.